5 quick and fun facts to know about orcas – or killer whales – on World Orca Day:
- Orcas are found in all oceans around the world.
- They are extremely social mammals that live in pods, usually with the same family members their entire lives. Pods can range from 5 to 10 members and can even merge to become super pods with as many as 100 whales.
- You can determine a killer whale’s sex by their dorsal fin: males’ or bulls’ fins are not curved and can grow up to 6 feet in height, while females’ or cows’ fins are shorter and curved.
- Orcas have a fatty layer of blubber under the skin that acts like fur and insulation to keep warm and can also be converted for energy when food is scarce.
- Wild orcas are not considered a threat to people.